The Minnesota Zoo’s public relations and social media department is responsible for working with all areas of the Zoo, the media, and community partners to increase public awareness, generate an understanding of, and excitement for the Minnesota Zoo and its programs. Internships in this area work with the marketing team on keeping positive Zoo stories in the news and disseminating key messages that reflect the Zoo’s overall mission and vision.
Year-Round Internship Opportunities:
Approximately 10 -14 weeks, up to 40 hours per week; weekdays with some evening and weekend work required. Start and end dates are flexible.
The marketing and public relations department is very diverse and fast-paced. This is hands-on position includes:
- Writing news releases, public service announcements and other media-related assignments
- Coordinating media events
- Researching and writing copy for the Minnesota Zoo website
- Coordinating publicity for various Zoo programs
- Assisting with onsite media as requested
- Assisting with photography needs
- Assisting with offsite media or Zoo events
- Organizing media hits from print, broadcast, web, etc.
- Assisting with social media efforts, including daily posts, blogs and promotions
- Assisting with guest surveys
- Other duties as assigned
You will also have the opportunity to cross-train with the sales departments as well as perform additional general office duties.
To be considered for an interview, please include the following:
- 2 -3 writing samples
- Cover letter that answers the following questions:
- What are your career goals, and how would this internship help you achieve them?
- What do you hope to gain from this internship?
- What kind of coursework and/or experience do you have that would make you a valuable Zoo PR/Social media intern?
For more information, please contact:
Internship Coordinator Jill Wallin, Human Resources
13000 Zoo Boulevard, Apple Valley, MN 55124
Toll-free: 800.366.7811 ext. 219