October is National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM) and this year’s theme is Advancing Access and Equity. In the words of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Disability Employment Policy, NDEAM “celebrates the contributions of America’s workers with disabilities past and present and showcases supportive, inclusive employment policies and practices that benefit employers and employees.” According to the Department of Labor, the labor force participation rate for people with disabilities is 24.2%, compared with 68.3% for people without disabilities.
Learn more with books and ebooks from our collection and visit these sites for more information:
- Disability Benefits 101 Minnesota
- Disability Hub MN – Work
- Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development – Hiring People with Disabilities
- Minnesota State CAREERwise – Employment Resources for People with Disabilities
- U.S. Department of Labor – National Disability Employment Awareness Month (NDEAM)
- The White House – A Proclamation on National Disability Employment Awareness Month, 2023
Stop by the Library and check out a book from our display on disabilities!
WHAT: Progress Through Inclusion: Disabilities and Professional Achievement (Panel Event)
WHEN: Thursday, October 26, 2023 • 3 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
WHERE: Dakota Room w/ Virtual Option
WHAT: Crip Camp Movie Showing
WHEN: Monday, October 30, 2023 • 3 p.m. – 6 p.m.
WHERE: Dakota Room
We hope to see you there!