September 15th through October 15th is National Hispanic Heritage Month. As President Biden said in his Proclamation on National Hispanic Heritage Month, 2022:
Since the beginning, our country has drawn strength and insights from Hispanic writers, scientists, soldiers, doctors, entrepreneurs, academics, and leaders in labor and government. Our culture has been enriched by the rhythms, art, literature, and creativity of Hispanic peoples. And our deepest values have been informed by the love of family and faith that is at the core of so many Hispanic communities. All of these contributions help us realize the promise of America for all Americans.
Wondering about the dates? September 15th marks the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Mexico celebrates its independence on September 16th and Chile on the 18th.
Learn more with books, ebooks, and videos from our collection and visit these sites for more information:
- Library of Congress – National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Minnesota Council on Latino Affairs
- Minnesota Historical Society – Minnesotanos: Latino Journeys in Minnesota
- National Park Service – Hispanic Heritage Month
- Smithsonian – Hispanic Heritage Month Resources
- U.S. Census Bureau – Hispanic Heritage Month 2023