September 15th through October 15th is National Hispanic Heritage Month, a celebration of Hispanic and Latinx contributions to United States history, culture, and society. Wondering about the dates? September 15th marks the anniversary of independence for five Latin American countries: Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua. Mexico celebrates its independence on September 16th and Chile on the 18th.
Learn more with books, ebooks, and videos from our collection and visit these sites for more information:
- Library of Congress – National Hispanic Heritage Month
- Minnesota Council on Latino Affairs
- Minnesota Historical Society – Minnesotanos: Latino Journeys in Minnesota
- Minnesota Humanities Center – Voices From the Latino Community
- National Park Service – Hispanic Heritage Month
- U.S. Census Bureau – Hispanic Heritage Month 2020