Legal Administrative Assistant major seeking career in family law
Andrea Wylie, 37, graduated from Dakota County Technical College in May 2021 with her Legal Administrative Assistant diploma. A 2002 graduate of Roseville Area High School (RAHS), Andrea is looking forward to starting her career as a legal administrative assistant at a law firm that practices family law.
“Family law is what I really was drawn to during my classes,” Andrea said. “I am currently a foster parent with Dakota County and that is where I feel like I can help people the most.”
Andrea continued working while earning her diploma at DCTC. “I work at Nordstrom in their Ebar as a barista,” she said. “I have been there for 6.5 years now. I was working full-time before COVID, but now I only work about 30 hours a week.”
Originally from Little Canada, Minnesota, Andrea enjoys going to the theatre, camping and hiking, cooking and playing with her 2-year-old son, Wesley.
Andrea resides in Eagan, Minnesota, with her partner of 15 years along with her son, Wesley, and four cats, Percy, Penelope, Chester and Tiger.
“Andrea is an outstanding student with a passion for helping others! She’s chosen a career field that fits well with her strengths; attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, reliability, just to name a few!
“Andrea’s worked hard throughout her time at DCTC; balancing work, family and school, all while achieving a high GPA, which is no easy task! I can’t wait to see her career success!”
Administrative Support Program Faculty
Dakota County Technical College
Andre family and friends gallery
More about the Legal Administrative Assistant program…
The Legal Administrative Assistant program at DCTC prepares you to work in a variety of law-related fields. Specialized legal courses include Civil Procedures, Civil Litigation, and Estate, Probate, and Real Estate. As a student in the program, you will also take a variety of general administrative courses covering software applications, keyboarding and communications.
The Legal Administrative Assistant program teaches you the expertise you’ll need for creating and editing documents, spreadsheets, databases, electronic presentations and Internet navigation research. Legal administrative assistants may be called upon to communicate, organize, coordinate and integrate data.
This is the ideal major for people in the workforce looking for a challenge or ways to advance their careers. You will get the opportunity to obtain Microsoft Certification for the required certification classes.
Key employers include law firms, court systems, insurance agencies, legal and trust departments of banks, corporations and government agencies. Legal administrative assistants interact often and directly with clients and staff.
Perform clerical duties using legal documents and procedures.
This career pays above the statewide median wage of $20.49/hour.
Seven-county Twin Cities metro
In Minnesota, there are 3,390 workers employed in this small career.
Where do Legal Secretaries most often work?
- Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services
- Management of Companies and Enterprises
- Insurance Carriers and Related Activities
- Computer and Electronic Product Manufacturing
Andrea Wylie • Q & A
What did you like best about the Legal Administrative Assistant program?
I like that the program has challenged me, and I was really made to think about all the little details I never had to think about before. It has been hard and overwhelming and stressful, but satisfying when I get it right—all at the same time. I’ve had a lot of ups and downs, and it’s definitely a love/hate relationship. However, the experience has made me a better person for all the hard work. I have shown myself that I can do it and whatever I put my mind to I can accomplish.
Why did you choose the legal field as your career path?
Honestly, it just sounded interesting to me. As a foster parent for Dakota County, I have dealt with some of the court system, and I wanted to learn more about all that goes into the littlest of things, like one document.
What do you find most interesting about the legal administrative assistant occupation?
All the different types of law. There will never be a dull moment, no matter what field of law I end up in. Each case will be different.
What was your favorite DCTC course and why?
I really have enjoyed most of my classes, but if I had to choose two, I would say all my Microsoft Office classes and my Event Management classes. I learned a lot of very useful information in all of those classes.
Three words that describe you as a college student:
DEDICATED. HARDWORKING. PERSISTENT.
What advice would you give students thinking about majoring in Legal Administrative Assistant?
Be prepared to commit a lot of time when taking your law classes. You take two 4-credit courses in half the amount of time. One class is nine weeks and the other is eight weeks. It has been overwhelming, but I just had to take it one assignment at a time.
What person has influenced you the most in life and why?
I would have to say my partner of 15 years. They have encouraged me and pushed me to strive to get through even at my toughest times when I wanted to quit, but I came out on top and have thrived because of it. If it weren’t for them, I probably wouldn’t have gone back to school.
Where do you see yourself in 20 years?
Hopefully, working at a law firm and enjoying life.
One word that best describes your experience at DCTC:
Andrea Wylie • 12 Answers
- Favorite sport or physical activity: Hiking/soccer
- Place you would most like to visit: Italy
- The most exciting thing you’ve ever done: Took a camping road trip up the Appalachian Trail from Tennessee to Maine
- Six things you would do if you won a $1 billion lottery: 1) Pay off debt 2) Buy a house 3) Pay off my grandparents’ house 4) Create college fund for my son 5) Donate some to charity 6) Take a much needed relaxing vacation
- Favorite TV show you’re watching now: Bridgerton and The Good Doctor
- Best movie you’ve seen lately: I can’t remember when I last sat down and watched a movie for myself.
- One thing you most want to accomplish in life: Be happy and spend time with my family; also, provide a safe, loving environment for kids who need a safe and stable place for a little while
- Your national bird if you were your own country: I really love the loon and the bald eagle
- Dream occupation: I would love to work with animals.
- Person you would most like to meet: Jane Goodall
- Skill you would most like to learn and master: It would either be to learn another language, play an instrument or drawing.
- Most important issue or problem facing humankind: Taking care of our environment
Learn more about the Legal Administrative Assistant program at DCTC by contacting:
Academic & Financial Aid Advisor