DCTC’S Raddatz takes ninth in his category at Life Time Fitness Triathlon

On Saturday, July 15, DCTC Customized Training coordinator Larry Raddatz took ninth place in the men’s 50-54-year-old category of the Life Time Fitness Triathlon in the Olympic Course event.

Raddatz in 02:04:43:40, placing him in 208 out of about 1000 overall. He completed the swim in 00:28:23:57, good enough for first place in his age category; the bike ride in 01:06:51:37, maintaining a 20 mph pace that was a personal best; and the run in 00:24:45:28.
“The heat definitely played a factor, especially during the run,” said Raddatz.

Raddatz has been participating in triathlons for over 15 years. In high school and college, he was a member of the swimming and track teams and always did a lot of biking. After seeing the Ironman Triathlon on TV, he became interested in the idea of a triathlon.
“I was hoping there was something a little shorter, but in those days, finding that information out wasn’t as easy as it is now with the Internet. But I managed to stumble upon a couple of local Olympic-distance triathlons, which are about a quarter of an Ironman,” said Raddatz.

The Olympic-distance triathlons generally involve a 1500-meter swim, a 40K bike ride (24.85 miles) and a 10K run (6.2 miles).

In order to stay triathlon-ready, Raddatz usually swims a mile warm-up and does interval work over his lunch at the YMCA and will do a 30-mile bicycle ride in the evenings on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. On Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, he usually runs about five miles lifts weights.
“There was an 84-year-old woman in the Lifetime Tri this year. I hope to be doing it when I am that age. My goal is to not let myself slow down too much as I age,” said Raddatz.

The next competition for Raddatz will be August 12, when he competes in the Turtleman Triathlon in Shoreview, Minn.