Sitting Still Does Not Equal Learning. Book Study Expert Commentary for Chapters 11 and 12 (Week 8)

Published on: October 19, 2015

Filled Under: Beyond The Pages, Books, Guest Speakers

Views: 8715

What If Book Study Marketing Pic

This week we are discussing Chapter 11: Why Does Sitting Still Equal Learning? and Chapter 12 In Defense of Active Learning. Deborah Stewart will provide insight and lead our discussion this week. Just joining us? Get all the book study details HERE.

—————————————————————————————————————————————

deborah stewart

“Who’s to say we have to sit down to learn?” Why can’t we lay on the floor on our tummies to learn?” When I read that statement in Rae Pica’s book, I had to nod my head and smile.

DS3

In my classroom of children, who are ages three to five, you can count on at least one child ending up on his or her tummy during our gathering time. As a young teacher, I would have immediately told the child to hop back up and sit on those pockets. Now that I am a much older and more seasoned teacher, I have come to realize that my students need to be able to change their sitting positions or stretch out those arms and legs so that they can stay better engaged in the entire process of what we are doing.

DS 1

My students not only have the need to move their bodies during morning gathering time but this need continues all through out the classroom day. We provide tables for standing, carpeted areas for getting down on the ground, and chairs for sitting. Our classroom environment and schedule is designed for active learning.

DS5

Rae Pica states “Movement is the young child’s preferred mode of learning.” I want to expand on that statement and say that it is through movement that young children develop and master new skills, understand and remember concepts, strengthen muscles, relieve and manage stress, interact with their peers, and find joy in the learning process.

DS2

If I can encourage you to leave this post with one thing, it would be to remember movement in your planning. It is so easy to overlook how important movement is in the early childhood classroom. While you are brainstorming your lesson plans ask yourself…

• Do my plans consider the need for my students to move?
  • Does my environment invite my students to explore and learn in a variety of different physical positions?
  • How can I teach these concepts through action or how can the children build on these concepts through action?
  • Am I spending too much time asking or expecting my students to sit still? If yes, what can I change in my planning to use movement to help us all be successful?

Read more thoughts about “Tummy Time” on my blog by clicking here!

Deborah J. Stewart, MEd
Website: http://www.teachpreschool.org/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Teachpreschool
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Teach_Preschool

Please share/retweet this post! Let us know that you’re participating in this study. We’d love to hear from you about your thoughts regarding Chapters 11 and 12  and about the commentary Deborah has provided. Your voice matters – participate in the dialogue and share your ideas! (Comment below) If you’ve chosen to blog about what you’ve read on your own site, link back and share your post with us here. Perhaps you have a burning question about something that you read in one of these chapters… we have a feature for that – Ask The Author! That’s right, Rae Pica will be available throughout this live study to answer your questions. #AskAuthor

What to read next: Chapter 17 In Defense of Authentic Learning and Chapter 18 Who Should Lead the Learning (10/26/15).

*If you’re a MN participant seeking training hours, please visit this link to access to requirements.

57 Responses to Sitting Still Does Not Equal Learning. Book Study Expert Commentary for Chapters 11 and 12 (Week 8)

1. Nallely says:

The movement is the reflection of our development and, at the same time, it constitutes the pieces that will build all the subsequent skills that the child will need, allowing the child to explore and experiment with their own body and physical space. The power of the movement in teaching is incredible. Freeing students from a passive learning posture, glued to chairs and looking forward all the time is able to connect them in a much more creative physical way with what they are learning. An easy-to-see example. Imagine a class where students sit and listen to the teacher while he explains, now imagine those same students trying to represent with their bodies scenes of how the Industrial Revolution occurred or putting themselves in the shoes of a literary character or representing themselves as something solid, liquid or gaseous to demonstrate the density of the molecules.
    This type of learning could be applied to all subjects. It would create a much richer environment by building memories connected to time, space, emotions and the senses.
    The open spaces in which to run and use all the muscles of the body jumping, climbing, climbing and lowering, are healthy spaces. They favor the use of all the senses and avoid that all the attention is focused on a point as it happens when they are watching TV.

In nature, each child decides what to do according to their tastes and by testing their own limits.

2. Liz says:

How wonderfully stated that by Rae Pica “Movement is the young child’s preferred mode of learning”. During those times of movement so many skills are also being developed that we do not always see. It is important to remember to think outside of what we see and allow children to learn in ways that work for them.

3. Laura Borchardt says:

Movement in the classroom is so important to a healthy learning environment. It helps children with stress and to retain the information that they are being taught. Sitting still does not equal listening children. Some of the children that I have noticed over the years taking in the most information and having very insightful thoughts are those children who are not looking at me and are moving all over the carpet and off the carpet. There are some challenges associated with that as well but the fact of the matter is we as teachers tend to think that the child sitting still is paying attention when they could be thinking about something else and not be engaged. It is also healthy for us as adults to participate with the children through songs, stretching, and exercising. They definitely are more engaged when they see the adults in their rooms participating as well.

4. DeAnna Stowe says:

Children learn through playing. The way they learn through play is through their experiences of cause and effect. Children also learn through dramatic play by reenacting real life scenarios. Many parents and some educators get confused on this. They believe that children sitting still all day and taking in what is being taught is a better method of teaching. Many do not realize the cause and effect that may occur in later life.

5. Judy Nelson says:

After reading chapters 11 and 12 I plan to take time and evaluate the curriculum used in our classroom. Although we encourage active learning I know there may be additional opportunities to learn through this effective learning style.
    Prior to reading these chapters we have been trying different Methods of accommodating several children that learn more effectively when not sitting in group. The challenge seems to be accommodating the needs of one without distracting the rest of the group.

6. Brittany says:

Yes. We have become a society where children all have to behave the same when it comes to learning or evening listening. We can all remember our teachers saying cres cross applesauce hand in your lap right? Now yes it does look very nice and orderly but it not what we want or do we want learning. I remember a time when I was teaching a lesson to children. One child decided to sit under the table and listen. Now the old way would be to make that child come with the group and do it the same as everyone else. I allowed him to stay where he was. You know what child knew all the answers when the lesson was over. The child sitting under the table. Teachers need to help parents and educators that singing songs, moving, and different positions for listening is the best for the child’s learning.