Early Childhood Book Study Special Guest #10 Announced!

Published on: August 20, 2015

Filled Under: Beyond The Pages, Books, Guest Speakers

Views: 1340

What If Book Study Marketing PicThe tenth special guest expert participating in this book study is… Michael Gramling! Read Michael’s biography below…

I am a lifelong advocate for social justice who found my professional home in 1979 when I discovered Head Start and embraced its values and its goals working as a Head Start teacher.

michael-gramlingThese days I spend most of my time visiting early childhood programs all over the United States as a consultant and a trainer helping programs to elevate the level of discourse in their classrooms and to meet the needs of individual children. In so doing I have gained a unique perspective and a thorough and intimate understanding of how early childhood education is practiced in these United States.

I earned my Masters Degree in Human Development at Pacific Oaks College in the year 2000, I have served as the coordinator and chief trainer for the Region IV Head Start Teaching Center at Western Kentucky University and in 2000 I developed the national training material used by the Head Start National Center for Family Literacy. I was a contributing author to the Zero to Three 2003 tome, Learning to Read the World, and I’ve had two articles published in Child Care Exchange. In 2015 my book, The Great Disconnect in Early Childhood Education: What We Know Vs What We Do was published by Redleaf Press.

My wife, Teresa Christmas, and I have raised a his, hers and ours family of five kids who have taught me that all children are incredibly different and that early childhood programs are not built to respond to those individual differences, I guess you might say that most of my life’s work has been to help early childhood programs become much less institutional and more like language rich, emotionally supportive families.

You can find Michael online by vising his The Great Disconnect Facebook page. Michael will be providing commentary regarding chapters 17 and 18 of Rae Pica’s book What If Everybody Understood Child Development? on Oct. 26th.

*Just joining us and want to get started? You can find all the book study details HERE. Grab your copy of the book and join us for this epic online event beginning on Aug. 31st!