Adventures in Eating: Role Modeling

Published on: October 14, 2014

Filled Under: Adventures In Eating, Guest Speakers

Views: 2281

When my daughter was three, she created a lettuce, cheese, and ketchup salad. She was so excited to have me try it. Needless to say, I was not very excited to do so!  My daughter was not very adventurous when it came to trying new foods and I knew this was the perfect teachable moment.  Rather than saying, “No, it looks awful”, I said, “I’ve never tried a lettuce, cheese, and ketchup salad. It’s good to try new foods! Let’s give it a try.”

I had taken this opportunity to role model tasting new foods. Whether you are a parent, teacher, or someone who is around young children, it is important for you to remember children are watching what you eat and how active you are. Here are a few tips on how to be a model healthy food choices and physical activity:

role modelBe a Good Food Role Model – Try new foods yourself. Describe its taste, texture, and smell. Offer one new food at a time. Serve something your child likes along with the new food. Offer new foods at the beginning of a meal when your child is very hungry. Avoid lecturing or forcing your child to eat.

Show by Example – Eat vegetables, fruits, and whole grains with meals or as snacks. Let your child see that you like to munch on raw vegetables.

Don’t Use Food As a Reward – Rather than going out to eat or buying sweet foods for every event, try rewarding yourself and your family with non-food rewards such as playing a family game or going someplace special.

Limit Screen Time – Allow no more than 2 hours a day of screen time like TV, internet, and computer games. Get up and move during commercials to get some physical activity.

Visit Choose My Plate for my ideas on how to be a good role model. And in case you are wondering, the lettuce, cheese, and ketchup salad is not on my list of favorite foods!

————————————————————————————————————————————

Mary SchroederMary Schroeder works for the University of Minnesota Extension which helps
to connect community needs with University of Minnesota resources.  Specifically
the Health and Nutrition programs and resources focus on disease & obesity
prevention, healthy school environments, and continuing education for community
professionals.  You can link to the Extension Health and Nutrition website at:
http://www.extension.umn.edu/health/

Mary Schroeder, MPH, RD, LD
Extension Educator
Health and Nutrition
University of Minnesota Extension
Email:  hedin007@umn.edu
Website:  www.extension.umn.edu
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/UMNExtSimplyGoodEating

2 Responses to Adventures in Eating: Role Modeling

1. Keane says:

Lettuce, cheese, and ketchup salad! Haha. That’s brilliant. Thanks for this, Dawn.

I’ve been following you on ECYD for some time and applying your ideas to my own parenting and writing. I love what you say about being a role model. My approach is to put healthy, varied food on th e plates of my kids. It’s up to them whether they eat it, but there won’t be any extra snacks if they don’t.

I hadn’t thought about the modeling though, ie, being brave and trying one of their concoctions. It makes sense. I’m going to give it a go.

Thanks,

Keane

2. Jason says:

Thank for that Dawn, we’ve been applying the principles you teach for our own two kids, it’s really started to work well. If you don’t start to give your kids bad food in the first place, it’s much easier to help them to eat more healthily.
    Thanks,
    Jason