If you know a child between the ages 4-16, encourage them to let their imagination run wild as they author their very own story. The contest rules, as taken from the sillybooks.net website, are below.
I’d like to tell you about a website that’s great for promoting literacy. http://www.sillybooks.net/default.htm is a unique website where children are the authors. Every book on the website is written by children. And every month one story is produced as an animated book, complete with voices, music and sound effects for all to enjoy. There is even a cash prize for the winning stories!
This website has a lot more than just books though. Children can find games, stories, poems, jokes, puzles, etc. Games include memory match, counting, jigsaw puzzles, and numerous other games that stimulate cognitive development. The games are simple, but they’re interactive and educational. There are a couple games for older children as well.
CHILD BONUS- Another nice bonus is that all the words, instructions, jokes, etc. are typed for the child to see. They are highlighted as that particular word is read so the child can follw along.
TEACHER BONUS- Click on Classroom to find resources categorized by age and subject. You’ll find some animated songs that teach. You’ll also find The Dolch high frequency basic sight word list. This list identifies 220 non-noun words that beginning readers should be able to recognize on sight in order to build a solid foundation for reading.
Contest Dates: September 1, 2007 through May 31, 2008. Since the contest is already over, you may VOTE on the website for your favorites. Voting ends September 30, 2008.
• Children are invited to write a silly book on any topic, but it must be under 300 words. It may be fiction or non-fiction. Books may be written by individual authors or in collaboration with friends or classmates, but all participants must be 16 years of age or younger.
• SillyBooks will choose a winning entry each month, between September, 2007 and April, 2008 (8 total monthly winners).
• SillyBooks’ visitors will vote on their favorite entries each month. Individuals may visit SillyBooks.net as often as they like to vote on their favorite entries each month.
• A panel of SillyBooks judges will choose the monthly winner from the top three entries each month.
• SillyBooks will pay a $25 cash prize to each monthly winning author.
• SillyBooks will produce each monthly winning book as a Flash animated picture book. Each winning book will be professionally illustrated, recorded by professional actors, and animated by one of our talented group of animators. SillyBooks pays all costs of producing each month’s winning book.
• SillyBooks will post the finished books on the web site (www.sillybooks.net) each month for viewers to read and enjoy.