- Wake up happy by energizing every morning: let in the sun and stretch, look at something you love, scent your shower, edit your closet.
- Take a walk that triggers a mood boost that last for two hours: boost the benefits by heading outside or get creative indoors, use a pedometer. Don’t have a foot-wear fail, go too slowly, or carry weights.
- The most powerful way to fight cancer is to prevent it: educate yourself about your cancer history. Women who are at risk for types of cancer may need to get screened more frequently and at a younger age. Really quit smoking whether it is electronic cigarettes, hookahs and cigars. A social smoker is still a smoker. Other than sunscreen by taking added precautions and taking time to apply sunscreen 30 minutes prior to exposure can greatly curb your chances of getting sunburns and skin cancer. Being overweight or obese is linked to several cancers including breast and uterine cancers. Aim for at least 150 minutes of moderate exercise weekly and include strength training twice a week.
- Your grocery list matters- antioxidants and vitamins matter
- All males and females should be vaccinated with HPV vaccine around age 11 or 12. The vaccine may prevent infection from the strains that cause more than 90% of cervical, anal and oropharyngeal cancers.
- Beat stress- take 60 seconds each day to focus on your quality of life.
Realsimple.com May 2014