September is National Preparedness Month. You can’t always predict when an emergency will happen, but you can prepare. Dr. Ali Khan of the CDC says, “If you are generally well equipped to deal with a zombie apocalypse you will be prepared for a hurricane, pandemic, earthquake, or terrorist attack.” Be informed, make a plan, and build a kit with information from these sites:
- CDC – Emergency Preparedness and Response
- Preparedness 101: Zombie Pandemic
- Ready.gov – Minnesota
Also check out these books and ebooks from our collection.
September 15th through October 15th is Hispanic Heritage Month, a celebration of Hispanic contributions to American history, culture, and society. Learn more with books, ebooks, and videos from our collection and visit these sites for more information:
September is the national awareness month for several types of cancer. Learn more with books, ebooks, and videos from our collection.
Check out these sites for more information:
National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month
- CDC – Ovarian Cancer
- MedlinePlus – Ovarian Cancer
- National Ovarian Cancer Coalition
National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month
National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
- American Childhood Cancer Organization
- CureSearch for Children’s Cancer
- MedlinePlus – Cancer in Children
National Blood Cancer Awareness Month
The Library will close early (4:30 PM) on Monday, September 14th and Wednesday, September 16th. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Credo Reference has added the following 13 titles since July:
- The Hutchinson Unabridged Encyclopedia with Atlas and Weather Guide
- Holidays, Festivals, and Celebrations of the World Dictionary
- The Wisden Archive of Cricketers’ Lives 2015
- Routledge Dictionary of Economics
- Barron’s Business Dictionaries: Dictionary of Accounting Terms
- 100 Ideas that Changed Art
- Dictionary of Linguistics and Phonetics
- 100 Ideas that Changed Film
- Dictionary of Developmental Biology and Embryology
- Fishes: A Guide to Their Diversity
- Dictionary of Industrial Terms
- Footwear Design
- 100 Ideas that Changed Fashion
Our Credo Reference collection now includes 757 reference ebooks and more than 3.5 million full text entries. Take a look!
- ELM Advanced
- Health & Wellness
- Information Literacy – Do Students Know What They Are Looking For?
- Job & Career Accelerator
- Learning New Software with Computer Skills Center
- Learning Express Library for Adult Basic Education
- Points of View Reference Center for Position Papers & Debates
- Pop Culture in ELM
- Prepare for an Occupation with LearningExpress
- Science Fair Resources in ELM
- Student Resources In Context & Google Drive
LexisNexis Academic has released a new topic-specific search form for their market and industry information. You can access the new Market and Industry Reports search form from the Search by Subject or Topic menu. From their announcement:
This form includes the search features offered throughout LexisNexis Academic, including the ability to restrict by date, to use Boolean or natural language syntax, and to target your search to particular segments within the market and industry reports.
The default collection for your search is an extensive library of our available market and industry report publications, including:
- BMI Country Risk Report, providing unparalleled analysis of global industries and research on leading companies in emerging markets.
- Canadean and ICD Industry Forecast Reports, premium analytical reports based on a combination of industry forecasts, market data and company content, focusing on an individual country.
- Current Analysis, providing competitive intelligence solutions that enable companies to anticipate and counter competitive threats.
- Hoover’s Industry Snapshots, covering key industries, companies, and the key people that make up those industries.
- Standard & Poor’s Monthly Industry Reviews, offering current and regularly updated snapshots for 10 major sectors and 124 separate sub-sectors of the U.S. economy.
In addition to the new Market and Industry Reports search form, we have updated the publications featured on many of the other search forms, including:
- Country Information (adding BBC Monitoring, BMI Country Risk Report, and PRS Risk Guide & Service)
- Broadcast Transcripts (adding the Federal News Service)
- Foreign Language News (adding Russian language news)
- Company Profiles (adding LexisNexis® Corporate Affiliations™ and Zoom Company Information)
- And more!