Blue Knights 16–15 as of April 20
DCTC baseball has posted 16 wins against 15 losses with 16 games (plus six possible weather-postponed games) left in the regular season. The Blue Knights compete as independents at the NJCAA Div. III level. Head Coach Randy Briesacher is working to solidify his team as the regional and national tournaments approach.
“Things are starting to click,” Briesacher said. “We’re coming off three straight wins going into a home doubleheader against NIACC. We’ve had terrible weather—and that keeps us from getting into a rhythm. We’re also taking our first jump up playing DII teams. But morale is high and I see us playing our best ball of the year as we head into the postseason.”
Briesacher noted that the Knights are ranked well in a number of NJCAA DIII stat categories even though the team has faced DII competition. The Knights are slated to officially start playing NJCAA Div. II baseball as an independent in spring 2013.
NJCAA DIII Baseball Stats as of April 20, 2011
- Stolen Bases
- Zack Clark | Ranked 12th nationally | 19 out 19 in 33 games
- Home Runs
- Dylan Peterson | Ranked 6th nationally | 5 in 107 AB in 33 games
- Ben Bundschu | Ranked 23rd nationally | 3 in 100 AB in 31 games
- Brett Smith | Ranked 4th nationally | 37 in 97 AB in 30 games
- Dylan Peterson | Ranked 8th nationally | 33 in 107 AB in 33 games
- On Base Percentage
- Luis Ramos | Ranked 8th nationally | .570 in 99 AB | 39 hits, 35 walks, 7 hit by pitches, 1 sacrifice fly
- Team Batting Average
- Dakota County Technical College | Ranked 8th nationally | 313 Team hits | 931 Team AB | .336 Team batting average
- Sophomore Outfielder Dylan Peterson leads the team with a .402 batting average that includes a team-best five homers
- Freshman First Baseman and Pitcher Brett Smith is batting .381 with 37 hits in 97 at bats, including eight doubles and team-best 37 RBIs
- Freshman Shortstop Luis Ramos is batting .394 with 39 hits in 99 at bats
- Sophomore Pitcher Richard Klein is 4–1 with a 3.62 ERA
- Sophomore Pitcher Bryce Rippentrop is 3–3 with a 4.46 ERA.
The postseason unfolds with the NJCAA Region 13 champion advancing to the 2010 NJCAA Division III Baseball National Championship Tournament May 21, 2011, in Tyler, Texas. Last year, the Blue Knights, who finished the season 32–17, came within one run of going to the DIII World Series, losing 4–5 to the Ridgewater College Warriors in the finals of the regional tourney.
DCTC Blue Knights vs. North Iowa Area Community College Trojans
- Home Doubleheader
- April 21, 2011 2 p.m. & 4 p.m. | Elko, Minn. | Frederickson Field