This weather has been something else this year, hasn’t it? Hopefully the temp will continue to rise and the sun will begin make a regular appearance. (Please!)
April is always a busy month and the end of the semester is just around the corner. Students- it’s a good idea to check in with your instructor(s) about final due dates and any questions you may have on assignments and/or projects. We don’t know that you have questions unless you ask. Don’t wait until the end! It’s also a good idea to review your current grade so you are fully aware of where you need to be for the remaining assignments in order to achieve your desired grade.
1. ECYD students planning to complete Practicum I, Practicum II, and/or Field Experience this summer need to register by April 17th. This allows us time to ensure a placement for you and prep as needed. If you are not registered by April 17th, you will not be able to complete Practicum this summer. You’ll need to connect with the instructor of the course for more details. Please note that there will be a Practicum mtg. in late April, early May. Contact Dawn (ECYD1510) or Sharon (ECYD2510) for the date. Students are best set up for success when they attend this meeting- plan to attend!
2. Students in the News- Kaily Blount, Joy Davitt, and Julie Hanly will be attending the SkillsUSA Minnesota State Conference Championships on April 11th & 12th. SkillsUSA is a partnership of students, teachers and industry working together to ensure America has a skilled workforce. SkillsUSA helps each student excel. SkillsUSA’s mission is to help its members become world-class workers, leaders and responsible American citizens. Congrats and good luck!
3. Celebrating our Youngest Learners! Week of the Young Child, April 12 – 17
The Week of the Young Child™ is an annual celebration sponsored by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC), the world’s largest early childhood education association, with nearly 80,000 members and a network of over 300 local, state, and regional Affiliates.
The purpose of the Week of the Young Child™ is to focus public attention on the needs of young children and their families and to recognize the early childhood programs and services that meet those needs. NAEYC first established the Week of the Young Child™ in 1971, recognizing that the early childhood years (birth through age 8) lay the foundation for children’s success in school and later life. The Week of the Young Child™ is a time to plan how we—as citizens of a community, of a state, and of a nation—will better meet the needs of all young children and their families.
What’s Happening at DCTC?
Celebrating Childhood Graffiti Wall
Outside our classroom door there will be a paper-covered section of wall and some markers. Put your creativity and ideas out there for all to see by helping to decorate our Celebrate Childhood Graffiti Wall. Use the idea prompts on the wall or your own ideas to show and share the importance of early childhood and children in our world. Get your creative juices flowing!
Commons Area Table Tents
Several weeks ago, the ECYD Club met to create over 80 table tents to decorate the DCTC commons area. During the WOYC, check out the creative efforts of this engaged group of students! The table tents highlight fun facts about development during the early childhood years and raise awareness about the importance of early childhood education.
Wacky Wednesday, April 15
On Wednesday, April 15 we encourage you to help us celebrate the Week of the Young Child by showing your ‘wacky side’. Come to class with a wacky hat, hair, outfit, shoes, socks, etc. Be as wacky as you like! Of course, remember that ‘Wacky’ means fun – never offensive or hurtful in any way. Prizes will be awarded for excellence in ‘wackiness’ – don’t miss out on the fun!!
ECYD “Wild Child’ Photo Contest
Using the photos brought to class during the Week of April 6, we will construct a photo match contest. See how many of your classmates you can match to their baby pictures! And, just have some fun seeing how we all started out as children! Prizes will be awarded for the best baby photo detectives!
And much more ….
There is much more planned but we are keeping the rest a surprise! You won’t want to miss the fun!
4. ECYD Field Trip! Join us for a field trip on May 1st at the Science Museum (Wonder Years exhibit). Then we’ll grab a quick lunch and head over to the Children’s Museum. We estimate the day to last from approximately 9am-3pm. Sign up (ASAP) in the ECYD classroom by the Club bulletin board or email Dawn/Sharon.
5. 2nd Annual ECYD & CLA Career Fair: Students- be sure to SAVE THE DATE of May 5th between 6-8pm as you’ll want to attend this event! It’s a fantastic opportunity for you to meet with industry professionals that are ready to hire- bring a resume and dress to impress! If you are happy in your current position, still attend! There will be many professionals in attendance for you to network with for possible future opportunities. Click HERE for a snapshot of last year’s event.
6. DCTC Graduation this year is on May 15th at 7pm. The event is held off-campus at Grace Church in Eden Prairie, MN. If you are graduating this spring or summer semester, we look forward to seeing you at graduation! Click on the link for more info.